My Blog List

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Reflections: Week 7:

Dear Deborah and my coursemates,

You have no idea how much time I am spending on this course this week! It usually takes much less time but since I was away I feel like I lost my compass! First I thought that I would read the articles and the tasks for week 7 then do week 6! Then I felt so lost and decided to review the articles of week 6 and the tasks of week 6. Now I am about to finish my tasks for week 7! Well I will do week 6 later. For a change and since I am doing everything not in an organized way I've decided to write my reflections now before I complete all my tasks. OK. I have to say that I usually don't miss classes- unless I am sleeping at bed. But if I want to see the positive side of missing one week is that now I can be more considerable for my students who miss classes!




Well, it was an interesting week! It is a good idea to promote learners' autonomy. The question raised here is "Do all students like this idea?" "Would this fit the different learning styles?" Anyway it would not harm to teach the students the skills that would help them become independent learners… I think that we can better foster learners' autonomy using technology. I believe that what matters is working on our students' accountability! This way they themselves will ask us for ways to become autonomous learners. Teaching students to be autonomous could be a good solution for large classes! This way teachers would not worry too much about her/his students!

I like so much the ideas in the site of 101 activities for the one computer classroom. I presented one lesson that I would like so much to teach in the future. It is a poem by Maya Angelou that I usually teach my 11th strong students. Here is the links to the poem in case you haven't read my post in nicenet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOqo50LSZ0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlSukj81Tk4&feature=related

I highly recommend you visit the first link! Now I am totally convinced that it is a must to have at least one computer in my English classroom. My lessons would be much more enjoyable!!

All the best,
Khuloud.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Khuloud,
    So happy you're back and working diligently to catch up what you unwillingly missed while in Germany. I'm confident you "will rise" ;-)

    Thank you so much for the link to Maya Angelou's reciting of " Still I Rise". It's so beautiful and elevating. I've never watched or heard her reading her poems before. The way she recites the poem is so simple and pure and quickly puts one in the mood of the poem.I enjoyed watching her over and over. In fact, your video whetted my appetite to watch more of her poetry recitals. The lady is simply gorgeous and a gift from God.
    You said you usually teach this poem to your students. May I know how they react to it, especially the seventh stanza:

    Does my sexiness upset you?
    Does it come as a surprise
    That I dance like I've got diamonds
    At the meeting of my thighs?

    Do you teach adults or teenagers? Well, you know Arab culture and traditions are still not that open when it comes to certain issues. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm really curious to know how are things out there in your classroom.

    Poetically yours,
    Arbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Arbi,

    Thanks for your kind words :)

    Happy you like the link. I have to tell you this: If you like a youtube video download it because maybe in the future it disappears!! Until now I regret not downloading Gwendolyn Brooks' short video reading her poem "We real cool"!!!

    Yes, we are not open on certain issues but things change gradually… I believe we are becoming more open! I want my students be open and keep the good values of our society at the same time! I usually teach this poem as part of a unit on African American history! In that unit the students learn about Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, civil rights, slavery… and things just fit to the African American experience. And I have to tell you that I focus on some parts of the poem… I just tell them that the language of the poem is difficult but that I want them try to feel other people's experiences and think why they are saying or singing these poems!! Well, it depends on the group… I teach them also Rita Dove's poem on Rosa Parks. They have a good background on African American history and they are usually serious in studying this…

    Best,
    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Victor,

    Thanks a million for providing the site and for your clear instructions… I've tried the site and it is just great… I already made a crossword puzzle and uploaded it in our wiki site.

    Best,
    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete